Barefoot Contessa Lemon Cake
You can use a tube pan or a Bundt pan for this recipe also. It is wonderful!
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 extra-large eggs at room temp
- 1/3 cup grated lemon zest (6-8 large lemons)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup buttermilk at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 8 1/2 x 4 1/4 x 2 1/2 inch loaf pans.
- Cake: Cream butter and 2 cups of granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer
fitted with the paddle attachment, for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, and the lemon zest.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending
with the flour. Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and
bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan
and cook over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- When the cakes are done, let them cool for 10 minutes, then invert them onto
a rack set over a tray, and spoon the lemon syrup over the cakes. Allow the cakes to cool completely.
- Glaze: ombine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice in a bowl,
mixing with a wire whisk until smooth. Pour over the top of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.
Yield: two 8-inch loaves
Posted by JudyAZ at recipegoldmine.com.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.