- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup shortening or butter
- 5 eggs, beaten until smooth
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blackberries
- Grease and flour a tube cake pan.
- Add baking soda to buttermilk.
- Mix flour, spices and salt together.
- Add all remaining ingredients except blackberries to the buttermilk-soda mixture;
- Add the blackberries (drain all juice, if frozen or canned), and beat until well
mixed. Batter will be thick.
- Bake in prepared tube cake pan at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- May be served plain or with whipped cream.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.