Brown Sugar Loaf Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda or 3 teaspoons baking powder*
- 1 cup milk, sweet or sour*
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 2/3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Use baking soda with sour milk or baking powder with sweet milk.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add yolks one at a time, then the egg white. Beat well.
- Sprinkle nuts with some of the flour; add a little salt.
- Mix the remaining dry ingredients. Add alternately with the milk.
- Fold in nuts and vanilla extract
last. If dough is too thick, add 2 tablespoons water.
- Bake in greased loaf pan for 45 minutes.