Bumpy Highway Cake
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk), divided
- 1 cup Butter flavor Crisco-all vegetable shortening or 1 Butter Flavor Crisco stick all
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk (see note)
- 1/2 cup Premium European-style cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup European-style cocoa
- 3 tablespoons CRISCO Oil
- 1/4 cup Butter Flavor CRISCO all-vegetable shortening or 1/4 Butter Flavor CRISCO Stick
- Reserved sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows, halved
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 10-inch (12-cup) Bundt pan with Butter Flavor
Crisco. Flour lightly.
- Cake: Measure 1/3 cup condensed milk for cake. Reserve remaining milk for frosting.
- For cake, combine 1 cup Butter Flavor Crisco, granulated sugar, brown sugar,
eggs, 1/3 cup condensed milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of
electric mixer until creamy. Add buttermilk and 1/2 cup cocoa. Beat until well blended.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in medium bowl. Add to creamed mixture.
Beat at low speed to blend. Beat at medium speed 5 minutes. Stir in hot water with
spoon just until blended. DO NOT OVER-MIX. (Batter will be thin.) Pour into pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 50 minutes or until top springs back when touched
lightly in center or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Place cake, fluted side up, on serving plate.
Cool for 15 minutes.
- Drizzle: Combine 1/3 cup cocoa and Crisco Oil in small bowl. Stir to blend.
- Frosting: Combine 1/4 cup Butter Flavor Crisco, reserved condensed milk and
confectioners' sugar in medium bowl. Beat at high speed until glossy and of
desired spreading consistency. Spread on warm cake. Sprinkle with marshmallows and
then nuts. Decorate with chocolate drizzle.
- Serve warm or cool completely.
Yield: one 10-inch Bundt cake recipe - 12 to 16 servings
To sour milk: Combine 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus enough milk to equal
1 cup. Stir. Wait 5 minutes before using. Substitute 4 bars (1 ounce each) unsweetened
baking chocolate, melted, for cocoa and oil, if desired.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Bundt, Tube and Loaf Cake Recipes