Carrot Cake with Rum Sauce
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple in syrup
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups coarsely shredded carrots, loosely packed
- 1 1/2 cups broken pecans
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup light rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease a 10 x 4-inch angel cake pan.
- Drain pineapple and reserve syrup.
- In large bowl of an electric mixer, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda,
baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the center and drop the eggs, oil,
reserved pineapple syrup and vanilla extract into it. Beat at medium speed until
- With a spoon, stir in reserved pineapple, carrots and pecans. Pour into
the prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degrees F oven until a cake tester inserted
in the center comes out clean, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Place pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Loosen edges; turn out on rack; cool completely.
- Serve warm or cold with Rum Sauce.
- In a 2-quart saucepan over low heat, mix together the sugar, corn syrup, cream
and butter, stirring constantly until mixture boils. Cool to warm, stirring occasionally.
Stir in rum and vanilla extract.
- Serve warm with Carrot Cake.
Sauce may be made ahead, stored in the refrigerator and reheated gently.