Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cake
- 1 1/3 cups crushed chocolate cookies or Oreo or Hydrox sandwich cookies, filling and all
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Peanut Butter Layer
- 10 double Graham crackers
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- 2 cups chunky peanut butter
- 11 (1 ounce) squares high quality chocolate
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Spray a 9-inch springform pan with vegetable-oil coating.
- Crust: Combine chocolate cookie
crumbs and melted butter. With your fingers, press mixture around the sides and
across the bottom of the pan. Chill crust while you prepare the peanut butter layer.
- Peanut Butter Layer: Combine all ingredients in a food processor just until blended.
Spoon into the crust-lined pan and smooth the top. Chill while you prepare the chocolate
- Chocolate Layer: Chop chocolate very fine, place it in a medium-size mixing bowl,
and set aside. Have yolks ready in the top portion of a double boiler. Heat cream
just until it comes to a boil. While whisking constantly, slowly pour hot cream
into the yolks. Cook in the double boiler over simmering water, stirring constantly,
until thickened enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Strain cream mixture
into the chocolate and gently blend until the chocolate is completely melted and
the mixture is smooth. It will be very thick, almost like pudding. Pour over the
chilled peanut butter layer. Smooth the top and chill.
For best results, prepare one day ahead of serving. Slice with a knife dipped
in a tall glass of hot water, then wiped dry.
Source: Chinois East-West, Sacramento, California