Chocolate Raspberry Cream Cake
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup finely ground almonds
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry preserves
- Raspberries (for garnish)
- Cake: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
Lightly butter a 10-inch springform pan.
- In a small bowl, whip the egg yolks with an electric mixer at medium speed. Add
1/3 cup sugar in a steady stream. Continue beating 4-7 minutes, until the batter
is pale yellow and coats a spoon.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder together; stir in the almonds.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites at low speed until frothy. Gradually increase
the speed to medium-high and continue beating until they start to form soft peaks.
Gradually add the remaining 2/3 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the whites
form stiff, shiny peaks. Fold the egg yolks into the whites, then fold in the flour
mixture. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth to level. Bake approximately
35 minutes, or until the cake springs back to the touch. Cool completely.
- Ganache: Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler. Remove from heat and
stir in cream. Let cool.
- Raspberry Cream: Drain raspberries, reserve liquid. Place 2 tablespoons of the
liquid in a small microwavable bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over the juice and stand 5
minutes to soften. Place gelatine and juice in microwave at half power for 30 seconds;
stir. Repeat if necessary to dissolve gelatin completely. Meanwhile, beat the cream
with the sugar until stiff peaks begin to form. Add 2 tablespoons cream to the juice
and gelatine, stir. Fold back into cream. Fold in the raspberries.
- Raspberry Syrup: Combine water, sugar and remainder of reserved raspberry juice
(about 1/2 cup) in small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until sugar
dissolves; do not let the mixture boil. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Assembly: Using a bread knife, horizontally slice the cake into two layers. Liberally
brush the bottom layer and the under-side of the top layer with raspberry syrup.
Spread 1/2 cup ganache over bottom layer. Gently spread the raspberry cream over
the ganache, making the layer even. Place top layer above cream. Brush well with
raspberry syrup. Spread raspberry preserves on top of cake. Pour remaining ganache
over the cake, smoothing the sides. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries and whipped cream if desired.
Yield: 12 servings
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.