- 2 pounds dates
- 4 cups pecan halves
- 1 pound candied cherries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- Dates, nuts and cherries may be left whole, if desired.
- Sift dry ingredients together three times, sifting over fruit and nut mixture the last time.
- Add beaten egg yolks.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites to which vanilla extract has been added.
Let stand for 30 minutes, and mix again.
- Line loaf pans with wax paper. Cut to fit pans, and extend one inch above top
of the pan. Grease paper. Pack batter tightly into pans. Cover top of cake with
wax paper, and place pan of water under cake.
- Bake at 250 degrees F for two hours. Remove cover from top of cake during last 15 minutes of baking.