Grand Illusion Cake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup Butter Flavor Crisco
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups packed shredded raw beets (4 to 6 large)
- 1 cup canned crushed pineapple in light syrup, undrained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch Bundt pan generously with Crisco.
- Combine granulated sugar, Crisco and almond extract. Beat at low speed with electric
mixer until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat
at high speed 2 minutes or until fluffy.
- Sift flour with baking powder, cinnamon
and salt. Add to creamed mixture at low speed. Fold in beets, undrained pineapple,
nuts and coconut.
- Spoon into pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for one hour, or until a
wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan. Place fluted side up on cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Transfer to serving plate.
- For soft frosting, combine 3 ounces softened cream cheese and 3 cups sifted confectioners'
sugar in a bowl. Beat at low speed until blended. Beat at high speed until soft
and fluffy. Add whipping cream, if needed, for desired consistency. Spread or spoon
over cooled cake, allowing some to run down sides.