- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 2 eggs, well-beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups flour, sifted before measuring
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 pound raisins
- 2 pounds bright colored gumdrops, cut fine*
* Do not use black gumdrops.
- Cream butter and brown sugar.
- Mix in remaining ingredients in the order listed.
- Bake in buttered loaf pans 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 350 degrees F.
Makes 2 loaves or more depending on size of pans used.
Hint: Cut the gumdrops with kitchen shears, dipping them in a glass of hot water
when they get too sticky. Toss cut gumdrops and raisins with a small amount of the
flour from the recipe. This coats them with a small amount of flour so that they
do not clump together.