Orange Almond Cake
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Olive oil to prepare pan
- 1 cup whole blanched almonds, toasted*
- 1 cup all-purpose, bleached flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Rind of 1 orange, finely grated
- 1/2 cup fresh, strained orange juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Orange Juice Soak
- 1/2 cup strained orange juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Adjust rack to the middle level. Wipe or spray a
9-inch springform pan with olive oil.
- In a food processor, grind toasted almonds into a fine meal. In a bowl, whisk
them together with flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat eggs at medium speed until they become
foamy, then slowly add sugar and beat until thick and lemon-colored. On low speed,
add flour- nut mix, then add orange rind, orange juice and olive oil, blending just
- Scrape the batter with a rubber spatula into prepared pan and level top.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer plunged in middle comes out clean and cake
begins to pull away from sides of pan.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then turn out on a rack to cool completely.
- When cool, transfer to a serving plate right side up.
- Mix together the 1/2 cup orange
juice and 1/4 cup sugar. Poke holes with a fork over top of cake and slowly pour
on Orange Juice Soak, then serve.
Covered tightly with plastic wrap, the cake will
keep well for up to three days at room temperature.
Nutrient Analysis per serving - Calories 468; Protein 8.7 grams; Carbohydrate
53.9 grams; Fat 25.7 grams (Saturated Fat 3.5 grams; Monounsaturated Fat 17.1 grams;
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.5 grams); Cholesterol 106.2 mg; Dietary Fiber 2.1 grams; Sugar
*To toast almonds, spread on an ungreased baking sheet. Place in 350 degrees
F oven and bake 5 to 7 minutes or until almonds are golden brown; stir once or twice
to ensure even browning. Note that almonds will continue to brown slightly after
being removed from the oven.
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine 6/23/01 4:50:31 am.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Bundt, Tube and Loaf Cake Recipes