- 1 orange
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dates or raisins
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Juice orange. Add 1/2 cup sugar to juice. Cook to thin syrup. Set aside.
- Grind orange rind and pulp with dates in food mill. Set aside.
- Prepare nuts and set aside.
- Cream margarine and 1 cup sugar. Add eggs.
- Sift together dry ingredients. Add alternately with buttermilk.
- Add vanilla extract, fruit and nuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes in a greased and floured Bundt, loaf or tube pan.
- Pour syrup over cake while warm.