Orange Crunch Cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest (colored portion of the peel)
- Juice and grated zest (colored portion of the peel) of 1 lemon
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- Generously butter and flour a 10-inch tube or Bundt pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar on high speed until
fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in orange and lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly and scraping down sides of mixing
bowl with rubber spatula between each addition.
- In a large bowl, sift flour again, along with baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to creamed butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well
after each addition.
- Sprinkle pecans into bottom of prepared pan.
- Pour batter into pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 1 hour or
until cake tests done.
- Remove from oven and place pan on wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- Prepare glaze: Place butter, sugar and orange juice in a small saucepan over
medium-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- Pierce cake with a fork and pour hot glaze over warm cake.
- Let cake cool completely before releasing from pan.
Yield: 12 servings