Orange-Poppy Seed Cake
This recipe produces a wonderfully moist and flavorful cake.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup poppy seed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar ( optional)
- 3 to 4 teaspoons orange juice (optional)
- Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set pan aside.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, poppy seed, baking powder, and salt.
- Add oil, eggs, milk, orange peel, and the 1/2 cup orange juice. Beat with an electric
mixer on low to medium speed about 60 seconds or until well combined. Pour batter
into prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick
inserted near center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for
10 minutes. Remove cake from pan.
- If desired, in a small bowl combine powdered sugar and the 3 to 4 teaspoons orange
juice. Whisk until smooth; drizzle over warm cake or pass with cake.
- Cover; store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Makes 18 servings.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare, bake, and glaze cake; cool completely. Place the cake
on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. Once firm, place cake in a 2-gallon freezer
bag and freeze for up to 1 month. Before serving, thaw at room temperature for several
Nutrition facts per serving: 316 calories, 14 g total fat, 2 g saturated
fat, 36 mg cholesterol, 87 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein,
2% vitamin a, 7% vitamin c, 7% calcium, 8% iron