Secret Ingredient Apple-Spice Cake
This cake is a symphony of fall flavors: sweet cake, fragrant spices, and brisk, tangy apples. The secret is cherry juice concentrate, which subtly brightens the cake's flavor without competing with the apples.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened but not melted
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Cake Enhancer, optional
- 2 teaspoons Apple Pie Spice, or a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup cherry juice concentrate (or substitute applesauce)*
- 1/4 cup applesauce*
- 3 cups peeled and cored apples, cut into 1/2" chunks (about 2 large apples)
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
*Use 1/4 cup cherry juice concentrate + 1/4 cup applesauce; OR 1/2 cup applesauce.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum or brandy; or water with a drop or two of rum or brandy flavor
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch, 10- to 15-cup capacity tube
pan or bundt-style pan.
- Beat together the butter, oil, sugar, cake enhancer, spice, salt, and baking
powder until light and fluffy, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until the batter looks
fluffy. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Beat in half the flour, then the cherry concentrate (or 1/4 cup applesauce).
Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, then beat in the remaining flour and the
- Fold in the apples and nuts. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 55 to 65 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center
comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and cool for 10 minutes before turning out of
- Make the glaze by stirring all the ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat
until the sugar dissolves. Brush on the warm cake.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before slicing.
Hands-on time: 25 to 35 min | Baking time: 55 min to 1 hr 15 min
Total time: 2 hr to 2 hr 40 min | Yield: 16 servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
King Arthur Flour
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Bundt, Tube and Loaf Cake Recipes