Make sure you time this so your guests are present during the baking. Once the
cake is baked, the effect is over.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 squares bitter chocolate, melted
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolks and stir. Add melted chocolate and stir.
Add raisins. Add cinnamon, cloves and flour; stir. Stir in nuts and jam.
- Add baking powder to the buttermilk and quickly stir into the cake mixture. Fold
in the stiffly-beaten egg whites.
- Quickly pour mix into a greased and floured angel food cake pan. Bake at 350
degrees F until the cake stops singing, about 45 minutes.