Sweet Potato Cinnamon Bundt Cake
with Orange Glaze
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes (yams), drained and mashed
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat nonstick Bundt pan with nonstick
- In mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, egg,
egg whites until light and fluffy. Add sweet potatoes and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, 2 teaspoons
cinnamon. Gradually add flour mixture to mixing bowl alternately with
yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, combine pecans with remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Spread on-third of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with half pecan
topping. Repeat layers ending with final one-third of batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto serving plate.
- In small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Drizzle over warm
Terrific Tidbit: When a recipe calls for canned sweet potatoes, fresh may
also be used.
Credits: Holly Clegg.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission