Sweet Potato Pecan Cake
This delicious cake also makes a wonderful breakfast bread.
- 3 cups C&H® Pure Cane Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup oil, vegetable
- 4 eggs, large
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (measure after sifting)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1 (16 ounce) can sweet potatoes, mashed*
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped, toasted
- 3 3/4 cups C&H® Pure Cane Powdered Sugar (1-pound) package
- 4 to 6 tablespoons water or milk
* 1 (16 ounce) can candied yams, mashed, or 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin may be substituted
- Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 10-inch tube pan and
- Beat sugar and oil at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Combine flour and next five ingredients. Gradually add to sugar mixture,
beating at low speed just until blended. (Batter will be stiff.)
- Whisk together sweet potatoes water, and vanilla extract. Stir into batter
until blended. Fold in pecans. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a long wooden pick inserted in
the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Spoon glaze over top of slightly cooled cake, letting some run down unevenly
on the sides.
- Glaze: In large bowl, combine powdered sugar with water until
mixture is desired consistency. Add more water for a thinner consistency and
less for a thicker consistency.
- Serve with cream cheese and marmalade.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
C&H Sugar Company, Inc. - chsugar.com
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Bundt, Tube and Loaf Cake Recipes