Pecan Coffee Can Cake
This delectable Southern pecan cake recipe is baked in coffee cans. Add a bow
and give as a gift.
- 1 3/4 cups shortening
- 1 pound light or dark brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 2 1/4 ounces lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle red maraschino cherries, chopped
- Cream shortening and brown sugar together until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift dry ingredients into creamed mixture, alternating with cherry juice
and lemon extract.
- Fold in well drained, chopped cherries.
- Pour into 4 well greased, 13 ounce METAL coffee cans (if they have paper
labels make sure to remove them).
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before removing from pans.
Keeps for several weeks.
Gift idea: Remove cakes from cans, allow to cool then put back in cans, place
lid on top, add a bow.
Can also be baked in 2 (9 x 5 x 3-inch) loaf pans for 1 hours, or in a
10 inch tube pan for 2 hours.