Country Vegetable Cheesecake
- 3 cups packed coarsely grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 cup coarsely grated carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole oregano
- 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovy fillets, drained and rolled (optional)
- Combine zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon salt; stir well. Let stand for 15 minutes;
- Roll zucchini in paper towels to squeeze out excess moisture; place in a
bowl, and set aside.
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, onion, and butter in a large skillet; sauté for
3 to 4 minutes.
- Add zucchini, carrots, flour, garlic, basil and oregano. Cook over medium
heat for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add parsley and lemon juice.
- Combine eggs, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
in a large mixing bowl; beat well.
- Add vegetable mixture and salt and pepper to taste; stir until well blended.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs over the bottom of a greased 10 inch springform
- Pour vegetable mixture into pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F, and bake 30 minutes.
- Turn off oven, and open door; let cheesecake cool in oven 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven; cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Dredge plum tomato slices in remaining breadcrumbs.
- Garnish cheesecake with tomato slices and rolled anchovies, if desired.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.