This cake is a versatile dish. Serve it warm for brunch to six people. When cold,
serve it with crackers as a canape to 12 or more.
- 1 cup crushed Ritz crackers
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 3 medium eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 drop Tabasco sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup backfin crab meat
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Make cracker crust to line bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Set aside to cool.
- Set oven to 325 degrees F.
- Use electric mixer to beat cream cheese, eggs and sour cream until fluffy.
- Add lemon juice, grated onion, Old Bay seasoning, Tabasco sauce and black
- Stir in 1 cup backfin crab meat. Pick it over well, shredding it while removing
the shell. Mix well.
- Pour into cooled crust.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 325 degrees F until cake is set.
- Remove from oven. Run knife around edge of cake, loosening it from side
of pan. Cool on wire rack.
- Remove sides of pan.
- Spread the cake with 1/2 cup sour cream.
This recipe is credited to Phyllis Murphy of Cambridge, Maryland, and was the
Grand Prize Winner in the 1985 National Hard Crab Derby in Crisfield, Maryland.