Savory Basil Cheesecake
A delicious appetizer using three varieties of cheese.
- 1 cup fine Italian bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup light or cholesterol-free mayonnaise
- 1 carton (15 ounces) Wisconsin ricotta cheese
- (can substitute Wisconsin mascarpone cheese)
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin blue cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Wisconsin parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup finely chopped, toasted almonds, optional
- Slivered almonds, optional
- Fresh chives, optional
- Combine crumbs and butter; press into bottom of lightly-greased 8- or 9-inch
springform pan. Chill.
- Combine basil, garlic, and mayonnaise in a blender, blend until smooth and
- In mixing bowl, beat together the ricotta, blue and parmesan until blended.
- Beat in basil mixture.
- Spread mixture over crust, pressing and smoothing top.
- Chill for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove sides of pan and place cake on platter.
- Press chopped, toasted almonds onto sides of cheesecake, if desired.
- To garnish top of cheesecake, make a "flower" with slivered almonds and
chive stems, if desired.
- Serve with assorted crackers, vegetable slices and toast.
Yield: 1 (9-inch) cheesecake
Reprinted with permission from Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.