- 3/4 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup fine Graham cracker crumbs
- 2/3 cup fine gingersnap crumbs
- 2/3 cup finely ground pecans
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger root
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 16 ounces cream cheese, cut into small cubes and softened
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil, and cook carrots until very tender - about 45
- Drain cooked carrots. Return them to a moderate heat for a minute or so
to cook off excess moisture.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine Graham cracker crumbs, gingersnap crumbs, the 2/3 cup
ground nuts, and sugar; toss well.
- Work in butter until mixture is crumbly. Pat
over bottom and up sides of a buttered 9 inch springform pan.
- Bake the crust for 7 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 350 degrees F.
- Transfer carrots to food processor and puree for 30 seconds. Scrape down side,
and puree again until absolutely smooth.
- Add brown sugar, ginger, lemon juice, orange
zest, cinnamon, mace and allspice to the processor, and puree for 30 seconds. Scrape
down sides and repeat. Let mixture stand until cool.
- Add cream cheese to cooled carrot mixture, and puree for 1 minute; scrape down
sides every 20 seconds.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Pour batter into crust, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
- Bake for about 50 minutes; cake tester will come out clean.
- Let cool.
- Cover loosely, and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.