Emeril's Key Lime Cheesecake
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup Graham cracker crumbs
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatine
- 3/4 cup Key lime juice
- 4 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 egg yolks (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons grated Key lime zest
- 16 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 2 egg whites (at room temperature)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- 1 cup simple syrup (1 cup granulated sugar and 1 cup water heated until sugar dissolves)
- Rind of 2 limes, julienned
- 12 sprigs fresh mint
- In a mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, 2 tablespoons of the sugar and Graham
cracker crumbs. Mix well. Press the crust firmly over the bottom of a 9-inch spring-form
pan. Set aside.
- In a saucepan dissolve gelatine in the Key lime juice for about 5 minutes. Add
1 1/4 cups of the sugar, eggs, egg yolks and lime zest. Mix well. Cook over medium
heat until the mixture thickens and is pudding-like, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream
cheese until smooth. With the mixer running, add the lime mixture slowly and beat
until smooth. Remove the mixture and turn into a bowl and cool completely. Cover
with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, stirring every 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with a whip attachment, place the egg whites
and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Whip on medium high until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the lime and cheese mixture from the refrigerator.
- Fold the egg whites into the
lime mixture and blend thoroughly. Pour the mixture into the prepared crust. Cover
with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator. Run a sharp knife along the sides of the pan and
remove the spring-form. Spread the whipped cream evenly over the top of the cake.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine simple syrup and lime zest. Bring the
liquid to a simmer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the zest from the liquid and cool on parchment paper.
- Cut the cake into individual servings. Garnish with candied lime zest and mint