Granny Apple Cheesecake
- 1 1/4 cups Graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatine
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (1 pound) small curd cottage cheese
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, pared, cored and shredded (2 cups)
- Crust: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well. Press firmly into
a 9-inch springform pan, cover bottom and 1 1/4 inches up sides. Chill for 1 hour.
- Apple-Cheese Filling: In a medium saucepan, combine gelatine with 1/2 cup sugar.
- Stir in milk, egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon peel and salt. Cook over low heat, stirring
constantly with a wire whisk, until gelatine dissolves. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat cottage cheese until smooth.
- Gradually beat in gelatine mixture.
- Stir in shredded apples.
- Chill, stirring occasionally, until mixture mounds
slightly when dropped from a spoon.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup
sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into apple-cheese mixture. Pour into
- Chill overnight or 8 to 12 hours until firm.