Trade Winds Cheesecake
- 1 1/2 cups finely crushed crisp coconut macaroon cookies
- 1/4 cup (1/3 pound) melted butter or margarine
- 16 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup light or regular sour cream
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur (such as Grand Marnier) or 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound (about 1 large) firm-ripe mango
- Fresh mint (optional)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur or orange juice
- Crust: Mix 1macaroon cookies with melted butter or margarine. Press mixture over bottom and about
1 inch up sides of a 9-inch cheesecake pan with removable rim.
- Bake in a 325 degrees F oven until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Filling: In a large mixing bowl, beat cheese and sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add sour cream, liqueur and vanilla extract; beat until blended. Pour over crust.
- Bake in a 325 degree F oven until center of
cake jiggles only slightly when gently shaken, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cool completely on a rack. (If made ahead, cover and chill up until the next day.)
- Spoon about 1/3 of the lukewarm Orange Sauce over cheesecake, to within 1 inch
- Peel mango. Cut fleshy cheeks off each side of pit, then cut off remaining
fruit. Cut mango into thin slices 4 to 5 inches long. Arrange over cheesecake, overlapping
- Spoon remaining sauce over fruit and cake to within about 1/4 inch of
side. Cover; chill until sauce is set, about 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Run a knife around inside edges of pan. Remove pan rim. Garnish with mint. With a sharp
knife, cut cake into wedges.
- Orange Sauce: In a 2- to 3-quart pan, mix 3 tablespoons sugar and 4 teaspoons
- Stir in 2/3 cup orange juice and 3 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
(or orange juice). Stir over high heat until boiling.
- Cool to lukewarm.
Makes about 12 servings.
Source: Sunset Magazine, May, 1991
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.