Walnut Crusted Caramel-Bourbon Swirl Cheesecake
The flavorful walnut crust is a nice complement to this deliciously light cheesecake.
Toasted walnut halves are stirred into the caramel bourbon sauce and spooned over
the cheesecake just before serving.
- 34 caramel squares
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 cups walnut pieces
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 packages light cream cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup bourbon or amber rum, divided
- 1 cup toasted California walnut halves
- In small saucepan over low heat, combine caramels and milk, stirring frequently,
until caramels are completely melted and smooth. Set aside.
- In food processor, combine walnut pieces and 1/4 cup of the sugar; process until
it resembles coarse crumbs (do not over process). Stir in melted butter.
- Press mixture into bottom and half way up sides of a 9 inch spring-form pan.
- Bake in 325 degrees F oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat cream cheese with remaining 3/4 cup sugar. Add eggs, beating
one at a time, just until well blended. Stir in 1/4 cup of the rum or bourbon.
- Pour cream cheese mixture into walnut crust. Drizzle 1/3 cup of the caramel sauce
on top; gently swirl with knife. Stir remaining bourbon into caramel sauce. Cover
and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Bake in 325 degree F oven for 1 hour.
- Turn oven off; leaving cheesecake in oven without opening door (to prevent cracking)
for an additional hour.
- Transfer to rack to cool completely. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or up to 1
- To serve, gently warm sauce, stirring in walnut halves.
- Serve over slices of cheesecake.
Yield: 12 servings
Nutrition: Calories 647 Total Fat 16 Saturated Fat 45 Monounsaturated Fat
9 Polyunsaturated Fat 21 Trans Fat 0 Cholesterol 101 Sodium 305 Carbohydrates 48
Dietary Fiber 3 Protein 16
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):