Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
If you love lemon meringue pie, don't hesitate to bake a batch of these fabulous filled cupcakes.
- 2 1/3 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 jar (10 to 12 ounces) lemon curd
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size
muffin cups; spray paper.
- Cups with baking spray with flour.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds.
- Gradually add 1 1/4 cups sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each
addition and scraping bowl occasionally. Beat 2 minutes longer.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in lemon peel and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- On low speed, alternately add flour mixture, about one-third
at a time, and milk, about half at a time, beating just until blended.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each with about 3 tablespoons
batter or until about two-thirds full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks. Cool completely,
about 30 minutes.
- By slowly spinning end of round handle of wooden spoon back and forth, make deep,
3/4-inch-wide indentation in center of top of each cupcake, not quite to bottom.
(Wiggle end of spoon in cupcake to make opening large enough.)
- Spoon lemon curd into small resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag. Cut
3/8-inch tip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Insert tip of bag into opening in each
cupcake; squeeze bag to fill opening.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla with electric mixer
on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add 2/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at
a time, beating continuously until stiff peaks form and mixture is glossy.
- Frost cupcakes with meringue; place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
Prep time 55 Min | Total time 1 Hr 55 Min | Servings 24
Bake these cupcakes in sparkling gold or silver paper baking cups for a pretty
Nutrition 1 Serving (1 Cupcake): Calories 230 (Calories from Fat 80), Total
Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 60mg; Sodium 210mg;Total Carbohydrate
34g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 24g), Protein 3g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6.00%; Vitamin C 0.00%; Calcium 4.00%; Iron
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 1 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 2
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Betty Crocker/©2012 General Mills
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.