Maple Browned Butter Bacon Cupcakes
Whether you’re baking for a group of kids or an upscale party, cupcakes are a
universal favorite. These sweet and savory cupcakes were made specifically for bacon
lovers with a sweet tooth.
- 3 strips center-cut bacon
- 3/4 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, lightly browned*
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 container (16 ounces) white prepared frosting
*Melt butter in skillet over medium heat; cook until butter begins to brown.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange strips of bacon on a rack set in
a rimmed baking sheet (line baking sheet with foil for easy clean up).
- Bake, rotating pan halfway through cooking, for about 15 minutes or until
bacon is almost crisp. Remove 2 strips of bacon and place on paper towel to
cool. Sprinkle remaining piece of bacon evenly with 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar.
Bake for 3 minutes or until sugar melts. Set aside to use as garnish.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper
or foil liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl; mix well.
- Whisk together browned butter, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, eggs, buttermilk,
1/4 cup maple syrup and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl. Gradually stir
in flour mixture. Crumble the 2 strips of bacon and fold into batter. Spoon
into prepared cups, filling 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cupcake comes out clean.
Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Stir remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup into prepared frosting. Pipe onto
cupcakes. Crumble remaining sugar-coated strip of bacon; sprinkle over cupcakes.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 38 min | Servings: 12
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Nestlé and meals.com