- 1 cup fine Graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup sifted flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine (at room temperature)*
- 1/4 cup shortening (at room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg white**
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- About 18 marshmallows, each cut in half, divided
- About 4 plain milk chocolate candy bars, unwrapped, broken into individual squares and divided
- Sift together the first 4 ingredients; set aside.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and shortening together thoroughly until smooth.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and egg white, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Stir in dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Spoon batter into muffin pans (2 3/4-inch diameter or 1 7/8-inch diameter)
lined with paper baking cups, about one-third to one-half full.
- Insert a marshmallow
half or miniature marshmallow into each; top each marshmallow with 1 to 2 chocolate
- Bake for about 18 to 20 minutes (about 12 to 15 minutes for 1 7/8-inch
diameter cupcakes) or until done.
- Remove from oven.
- Top each hot cupcake with an additional chocolate candy square
and then a marshmallow half or miniature marshmallow.
- Broil, about 6 to 8 inches
from heat source, just until marshmallows melt and turn a light brown on top.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool before serving.
Yield: about 15 to 18 (2 3/4-inch) or 3 to 4 dozen (1 7/8-inch) cupcakes
* May omit butter or margarine and/or shortening, if desired; add 1/2 to 1 cup
Smucker’s Shortening & Oil Baking Replacement to batter.
** May omit eggs, if desired; add the equivalent in egg substitute of 2 eggs,
i.e., Egg Beaters, to batter. Do not omit egg white.
Use miniature marshmallows for 1 7/8-inch diameter cupcakes. Do not cut
each in half.