Strawberry Cornmeal Muffin Cakes
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 (1-pint) baskets fresh strawberries, stemmed and halved
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 12 muffin cups or six 6-ounce custard
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In mixer bowl, cream butter.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar, scraping bowl
as needed, until mixture is fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Beat in dry ingredients and milk alternately, to blend thoroughly.
- Blend in cornmeal.
- Spoon batter into prepared cups.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until springy to the touch and a wooden
pick inserted into center comes out clean; let cool for 5 minutes.
- Turn out onto rack to cool completely.
- Beat cream and sugar to form soft peaks.
- Serve muffin cakes topped with cream and strawberries. Arrange in serving bowl;
spoon into individual dishes.
Yield: 12 medium or 6 large desserts
Source: California Strawberry Commission