Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- Strawberry jam
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with
paper or foil liners.
- Cupcakes: In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the cornstarch, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the sugar with the eggs
and vanilla extract at medium-high speed until smooth and thickened slightly, about
- Add the butter and oil and beat until incorporated, scraping the bottom
and side of the bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients and milk in 3 alternating batches,
beating well between additions.
- Carefully pour the batter into the lined muffin tins, filling them about two-thirds full.
- Bake the cupcakes in the center of the oven for 20 to 23 minutes, until springy
and a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the
cupcakes cool slightly in the muffin tin, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool
- Frosting: In a medium bowl, using a handheld electric mixer,
beat the softened butter at medium speed until smooth.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar,
vanilla extract and salt and beat the mixture at low speed just until combined. Increase
the mixer speed to medium and beat until smooth.
- Add the milk or heavy
cream and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Mix the frosting with strawberry jam to taste. Spread the frosting on the cooled
cupcakes and serve.
Make Ahead: The unfrosted cupcakes can be wrapped in plastic and stored at room
temperature for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month. The white buttercream
frosting can be refrigerated in an airtight plastic container for up to 2 days.
Return to room temperature before using.