Upside-Down Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 36 to 48 walnut halves
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease well 12 muffin pan cups.
- In small saucepan, combine the 1/4 cup melted butter, brown sugar and 1 tablespoon
water. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Place 3 or 4 walnut halves in each of the prepared muffin
pan cups. Spoon cooked mixture over walnuts.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together; set aside.
- Cream 1/4 cup butter.
- Gradually add sugar and continue creaming until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- Blend in dry ingredients alternately with the 1/2 cup water, beginning
and ending with dry ingredients.
- Fill muffin pan cups 1/2 full with batter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until surface
springs back when gently touched with fingertip.
- Remove from muffin pan. Let cool inverted on wire racks.
- In small saucepan, combine milk and chocolate. Cook over very low flame, stirring
constantly, until smooth and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon butter; keep warm. Spread on sides of cupcakes.
Source: Whitman's Chocolate Cookbook