Bluegrass White Bourbon Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon bourbon whiskey
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Combine sugar, water and salt in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring
until it reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Stir in bourbon and flavoring.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar. Beat at medium speed, slowly pouring
hot syrup over the whites.
- Beat at high speed until stiff peaks form.