Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
This delicious cream cheese frosting with caramel-y notes from brown sugar,
will put your carrot or spice cakes over the top for deliciousness.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to cool room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to cool room temperature
- 3/4 cup fresh light or dark brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon molasses*
- Place the butter, cream cheese and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand
mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat for 1-2 minutes at medium
speed. If necessary, scrape the sides of the bowl and the beater, then beat
a little longer. Let this mixture sit for 5 minutes, to allow the brown
sugar to absorb into the wet ingredients (this is to avoid grittiness).
- Add the confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and molasses (if using)
and beat until smooth and creamy, scraping the beater and sides of the bowl
- If frosting seems too stiff, add milk or cream, 1 teaspoon at a time; if
too soft, add more powdered sugar a little at a time, until it reaches the
- When you have reached the consistency you like, beat on high speed for
one full minute.
* A little bit of molasses helps to intensify the brown sugar flavor. If you
don't have it you can skip it, but if you do have it, adding it is highly