Butter Cream Decorator Icing
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or flavoring
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk* (or water)
- Cream butter and shortening.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Gradually add sugar, one
cup at a time, beating well. Scrape sides of bowl often.
- Add milk and beat at medium
speed until light and fluffy.
- Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until cake is iced, or keep in
refrigerator in an airtight bowl for up to 2 weeks.
- Bring to room temperature and re-whip before using.
Yield: 3 cups
Chocolate Icing: Add 3/4 cup cocoa or 3 squares of unsweetened chocolate,
melted; add an additional 1 -2 tablespoons milk.
Hint: Milk makes the icing "crusty"; water will keep the icing soft.
You can also add 3-4 tablespoons light corn syrup to make it spreading consistency.
Pineapple flavoring is also excellent.
For fancy cake decorating!
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.