Chocolate Christmas Cake
This old, traditional holiday recipe yields a dense cake that is much like a
dark, spicy fruitcake. It will keep for quite a long time if you wrap it well. You
can also bake the cake in mini-loaf pans or mini-Bundt pans to make individual servings.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped raisins
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/2 cup chopped candied red cherries
- 1/3 cup candied fruit mix
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease 10-inch tube pan; line with greased paper
or parchment paper.
- Sift together first 5 ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Add shortening and applesauce. Mix thoroughly at low speed for 2 minutes,
scraping bowl and beaters; then add eggs and beat again.
- Put walnuts, fruit and spices in a separate bowl; toss with 1/4 cup flour
to coat well. Add to applesauce mixture with vanilla extract. Blend well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Invert and cool on rack.
- When cold, slice thinly.