Dark Rum Nut Fruitcake
Soaking the fruit and nuts overnight allows the cake's flavors to mingle.
This cake tastes best if given a few weeks to mellow before it is topped with almond
paste and iced.
- 6 cups diced, mixed candied peel
- 1 1/2 cups diced candied citron
- 1 1/2 cups halved red candied cherries
- 1 1/2 cups halved green candied cherries
- 4 cups currants
- 6 cups seedless dark raisins
- 2 cups blanched slivered almonds
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup dark rum
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups butter
- 2 1/2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 7 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- In large bowl, combine candied fruit, currants, raisins and nuts.
- Pour rum over mixture; stir to combine. Cover; let sit overnight.
- Prepare four 9 x 5-inch loaf pans as desired by buttering and lining them
with buttered parchment paper.
- Drain any liquid from fruit/nut mixture, reserving liquid. Add 1/2 cup flour
to mixture; stir to coat.
- In separate large bowl, cream butter with electric mixer until light and
fluffy; add brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Add vanilla and reserved liquid from fruit.
- In another bowl, sift together 3 cups flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon
and cloves. Add gradually to creamed mixture, stirring just to blend.
- Stir in floured fruit and nut mixture.
- Turn mixture into prepared pans.
- Bake for 3 to 3 1/2 hours in preheated 250 degree F oven or until a tester
inserted in middle of each cake comes out clean.
- Cool for 30 minutes in pans, then turn out on to racks.
- Carefully remove paper and cool completely.
Yield: four 9 x 5-inch cakes
Posted by Cookin'Mom at Recipe Goldmine 12/11/2001 7:38 am.
Source: The Toronto Star Newspaper
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.