This is an old-fashioned Connecticut specialty. Allow plenty of time when you
- 1 cup warm water (not hot)
- 1 package yeast
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups seeded raisins
- 1 cup whiskey
- Put water into a bowl and sprinkle yeast over it.
- Add sugar, salad oil and flour; beat thoroughly.
- Cover, and let rise overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Butter 3 loaf pans.
- Cream butter, then cream in brown sugar.
- Add eggs, then stir in lemon rind and juice.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Add to the butter mixture.
- Add raisins and whiskey.
- Stir into the yeast batter and beat to blend well.
- Divide dough in the pans.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees F.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.