This is an old-fashioned Connecticut specialty. Allow plenty of time when you
- 1 cup warm water (not hot)
- 1 package yeast
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups seeded raisins
- 1 cup whiskey
- Put water into a bowl and sprinkle yeast over it.
- Add sugar, salad oil and flour; beat thoroughly.
- Cover, and let rise overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Butter 3 loaf pans.
- Cream butter, then cream in brown sugar.
- Add eggs, then stir in lemon rind and juice.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Add to the butter mixture.
- Add raisins and whiskey.
- Stir into the yeast batter and beat to blend well.
- Divide dough in the pans.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees F.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Fruitcake Recipes