- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 ounces gumdrops (no black ones)
- 3 cups raisins
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans
or a 10-inch tube pan with greased parchment or heavy paper.
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt.
- Cut the gumdrops in fourths.
- Fry the pecans in the 1 tablespoon butter.
- Mix pecans, raisins, and gumdrops together, and roll in 3/4 cup of flour
- In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup butter and granulated
- Mix in beaten eggs.
- Mix in the flour and spice mixture alternately with the applesauce.
- Dissolve baking soda in hot water, and stir into batter. Stir in the vanilla
extract. Stir in nuts, gumdrops and raisins.
- Bake for 2 hours. The baking time for the tube pan should be about 30 to
40 minutes longer. Test about 10 minutes before the longer time.
- Cool, then wrap in foil.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.