Mrs. Crowther's Applesauce Cake
Here is a gumdrop cake that my grandmother made. We called it fruitcake in the
family, but the official title is Mrs. Crowther's Applesauce Cake.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup gumdrops (omit green and black ones)
- 1 cup dates (our family omitted them)
- 1 cup maraschino cherries
- Sift cocoa, baking powder with flour.
- Cream butter; add sugar and spices.
- Add beaten egg, then applesauce.
- Dissolve baking soda in warm water. Add, alternating with flour mix and
fruit mix. (If you use the large gumdrops, cut them into small pieces.)
- Bake in paper lined loaf pans (either wax or parchment paper) at 325 degrees
F for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours.
Submitted to Recipe Goldmine by Sharon on 01-21-02.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Fruitcake Recipes