This wonderful cake comes from "Down Under" — Australia.
- 7 ounces whole Brazil nuts
- 5 ounces walnuts
- 1/2 pound pitted dates
- 3 ounces candied peel, chopped
- 6 ounces glace cherries (several colors, if possible)
- 3 ounces seedless raisins
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 3 ounces flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 ounces granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Spirit such as brandy, rum or vanilla or clove brandy
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a loaf or square baking pan with greased
- Put nuts and fruit into a large bowl.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together, and add to the fruit mixture
with the sugar. Mix well and make into a stiff batter with the eggs and vanilla
- Place in the pan; flatten down with the back of a spoon and bake for 1 1/2
to 2 hours. Test for doneness with a knife or skewer (if the top is browning
too quickly, cover with foil).
- Leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out.
- Place in the middle of a clean tea towel. Pierce in several places and soak
with the spirit.
- Wrap the towel around the cake and store in plastic wrap or foil.
- Keep in the refrigerator. Add more spirit every week for 8 weeks.