New Orleans Fruitcake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 pounds pecan halves
- 1 pound candied cherries
- 1 pound candied pineapple
- 1 pound pitted dates
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease and line with parchment
paper two 9 x 5- inch loaf pans.
- Beat together the eggs, sugar and vanilla until frothy.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder; add to the egg mixture.
- Add the candied cherries, pineapple and dates.
- Mix well; pour into loaf pans and bake for 1 hour.