- 1 pound dried pineapple rings, cut into eighths
- 1/2 cup candied cherries, halved
- 1/2 cup rum
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound pecans (4 1/2 cups), coarsely chopped
- 7 ounces flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons brandy or orange juice
- Combine pineapple, cherries and rum in large bowl; let stand overnight,
- Grease a 10-inch tube cake pan very well; dust with flour, tapping out excess.
- Sift together 3 cups of the flour with baking powder onto a sheet of wax
- Beat butter or margarine and sugar until light and fluffy in large bowl
with electric mixer at high speed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in ginger and vanilla extract.
- Drain fruit; add drained rum to butter-sugar mixture.
- Add sifted flour mixture, beating only until blended.
- Toss remaining 1 cup of flour with chopped fruits, pecans and coconut; fold
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, smoothing top.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour, 45 minutes, or until skewer inserted comes
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Loosen around edges and tube; invert onto wire rack; cool completely.
- Brush with Crystal Glaze and decorate with fruits and nuts.
- Crystal Glaze: Heat corn syrup with brandy or orange juice in a small saucepan
until bubbly, stirring often.
- Wrap cooled cake in cheesecloth that has been soaked in rum.
- Wrap tightly with aluminum foil; store in plastic bag or airtight container.