Walnut Coconut Cream Fruitcake
This fruitcake slices beautifully, and tastes good when cold.
- 1 cup candied cherries, halved
- 1 (4 ounce) container candied pineapple slices, cut into thin (about 1/8-inch) wedges
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 cup sweetened cream of coconut (canned)
- 2 cups coarsely broken walnuts
- In large bowl stir together cherries, pineapple slices, raisins and brandy;
let stand an hour or longer.
- On wax paper, or in small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla extract; Beat in egg yolks
- Stir in lemon rind.
- Add 1/3 of flour mixture and 1/2 of coconut cream and stir until smooth.
- Sir remaining flour until smooth.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; fold in to batter. Pour over fruit mixture,
then stir in walnuts.
- Spoon into well buttered pans and spread to smooth.
- Set a shallow pan of hot water on lowest oven rack or floor of oven.
- Bake at 300 degrees F on rack below center of oven until cake tester inserted
into center comes out clean - 2 to 2 1/2 hours for 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch
pan, or 1 1/2 to 2 hours for small pans.
- Cool on racks.
- Wrap in foil or plastic wrap.
- Store in refrigerator.
Yield: 2 large loaves or 5 small loaves