Yuletide Dark Fruit Cake
- 3/4 cup diced citron
- 3/4 cup diced candied orange peel
- 3/4 cup diced candied lemon peel
- 4 cups halved candied cherries
- 6 cups slivered candied pineapple
- 1 2/3 cups chopped dates
- 2 cups dark seedless raisins
- 1 (16 ounce) can pitted sour cherries, drained
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons brandy
- 4 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar, sieved
- 7 eggs
- 5 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (10 ounce) jar grape jelly
- Combine fruits, honey, vanilla extract and brandy; cover; soak for two to
- Add nuts to soaked fruit mixture; mix well, then set aside.
- Cream butter; add sugar, then cream again.
- Beat in eggs two at a time.
- Add sifted dry ingredients.
- Stir in jelly; blend. Pour batter over fruit-nut mixture; mix well.
- Pour into 2 prepared 10 x 4-inch tube pans.
- Bake at 250 degrees F for 3 hours and 50 minutes to 4 hours.
- Cool completely; remove from pans.