Black Forest Ice Cream Cake
- 1 quart vanilla or burgundy cherry ice cream, softened
- 1 3/4 cups unsifted
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 34 cup Hershey's cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups whipped cream
- 1 cup cherry pie filling
- Firmly pack ice cream into a foil-lined 9-inch round cake pan. Cover; freeze
about 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Combine sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large mixer
- Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed
for 2 minutes (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool for
10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.
- Place 1 cake layer upside down on serving plate; top with ice cream unmolded
from cake pan. Place second layer cake, top side up over ice cream layer. Gently
spread whipped cream on top and sides of cake. With a decorator's tube or
spoon, make a border of whipped cream around edge of top layer of cake. Fill
center with cherry pie filling.
- Cover and freeze for at least 1 hour before serving.
* To sour milk, use 1 tablespoon vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.