Ice Cream Cake Roll
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups ice cream, softened
- 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk, heated to 160 to 170 degrees F
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks on high for 3 minutes or until light
- Gradually add sugar and vanilla, beating until thick and lemon-colored.
- Combine flour, cocoa and baking powder; gradually add to egg yolk mixture.
Beat on low until well mixed (mixture will be thick).
- Beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Fold a small amount into
batter until no streaks of white remain; add the remaining egg whites.
- Grease a 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan; line with wax paper, then grease and flour
paper. Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly
- Turn out onto a linen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Peel off
paper and roll up with the towel. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Unroll cake; spread with ice cream to within 1 inch of edges. Roll up again
(this time without the towel inside cake). Cover with plastic wrap and freeze
until serving time.
- Chocolate Sauce: In the top of a double boiler over hot water, melt chocolate
- Gradually add warm milk and sugar; stir constantly for 5 minutes or until
completely dissolved. Spoon over slices of cake.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups sauce