Strawberry Ice Cream Torte
Although this fancy dessert looks complicated to prepare, it really isn't, because each step is easy. The cake can be baked ahead of time, filled with ice cream, and stored in the freezer. When you're ready to serve it, just top it with the sauce, fresh strawberries, and whipped cream and voila!
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
Fresh Strawberry Sauce
- 2 cups stemmed chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup to 1/2 fresh orange juice
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 pint heavy cream, whipped
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter the cake pan and dust
it with flour.
- Cake: In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer at high
speed until well blended, thick, and foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the vanilla extract and 1/4 cup of the whipped eggs into the melted
butter and set aside.
- Working quickly but gently, gradually fold 1/2 cup of the flour into the
bowl of whipped eggs. Fold in the butter mixture and then the rest of the flour.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25 to 30
minutes, until the top is golden and springs back when touched.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake. Remove the cake
from the pan, turn right side up, and cool completely on a rack.
- Filling: Allow the ice cream to soften in the refrigerator until it can be spread
but is not soupy. Slice the cooled cake in half horizontally with a serrated
knife. Spread the bottom layer with the softened ice cream. Replace the top
layer, gently pressing it down. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and freeze.
- Fresh Strawberry Sauce. Combine the strawberries, sugar and 1/4 cup of
the water in the saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring frequently for
about 3 minutes, until the strawberries are foaming, swollen, and easily mashed
with a fork.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1/4 cup of water and stir it into
the strawberries. Simmer, stirring constantly, just until the juice is clear
and thickened. Stir in the orange juice, and if you prefer a perfectly smooth
sauce, whirl briefly in the blender.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To serve, unwrap the cake, place it on a serving plate and defrost it at
room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Top the cake with the strawberry sauce, allowing it to drizzle down the
- Toppings: Decorate with sliced strawberries and whipped cream and serve.
Posted by Rudy2 at Recipe Goldmine 12/29/2001 6:21 pm.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Ice Cream Cake Recipes