Burnt-Butter Baby Cakes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 rounded cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 2 teaspoons dark rum or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, swirling pan occasionally,
until butter turns deep brown.
- Remove saucepan from heat immediately and set aside.
- Whirl together almonds and sugar in food processor for 1 minutes or until ground.
Transfer to clean saucepan.
- Stir in egg whites. Heat over very low heat, stirring,
until mixture is hot to touch and "runny," about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in flour.
- Stir in the reserved butter and the rum or vanilla extract until blended.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill one hour or up to three days before
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease two mini-muffin tins. Fill each muffin cup
with 1 1/2 teaspoons batter.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until tops are crowned and golden.
- Pry cakes from tins with small knife. While still warm, brush lightly
with orange marmalade, if desired. Cool on rack.
- Store in airtight container up to three days.
Cakes can be made in standard-size muffin tins. Divide batter evenly among
12 greased muffin cups. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.